Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Book Detective, Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You!

Originally this next post was going to be about a) The Hunger Games or b) the females of urban fantasy book covers (URGH), but a recent conversation at the library (and the realization that I have WorldCat.org bookmarked) has led me to a somewhat obvious solution:

I LOVE finding books for people.  (So it's a good thing I have my heart set on a career at the library, eh?)  

Seriously, I really, truly enjoy finding books for people, whether it's recommendations that people have loved (though I rarely recommend books, given my own, er, "unique" tastes), or--and here's where I think I shine--finding that "lost" book that someone has always wanted to reread but has forgotten the title, author, character's names, setting, or even whether or not it was fiction.  But it had a blue cover!  And cats!  Always cats...

Me, I got Google.  And WorldCat.  Not to mention a degree in history (which means I have mad skillz for research, lemme tell ya), and a tendency toward looking up weird stuff just in my own time.  There is something just AWESOME about seeing someone online saying, "Yeah, been looking for this off and on for three years, here's the deets" and going "Is this it?" and having them say "YOU ARE MY HERO."

...though that may just be the praise.  I'm a sucker for a good word and a pat on the head.

At any rate, I just wanted to let anybody (and everybody, potentially, seeing as this is the internet) know that if you need help finding a book, just ask: I can't guarantee that I'll find it, but I can guarantee that I'll do my damnedest.

1 comment: